Renata and I typically wait several weeks at the minimum when it comes to writing any kind of reviews on products we use. However we feel that this is a great product worth reviewing and sharing our insights.
Once Jayden was born we had a combination of various forms of laying him down – from a hammock to a floor mat with a jungle gym (two actually – one with a lion theme the other with owls) which we still use in two separate places among other things, however he has reached an age where moving around and playing on the floor has become a daily routine. So we began looking at floor mats and tiles. We initially used one part of our fitness mats to create a base and put his floor mat on top, but it was small in size and not exactly the quality you want your kid to be playing on. Kids throw themselves back and this was not a “soft” solution.
Over the past three or so months we have intensively been looking for something better. We have visited several stores including large ones like Toys’r’us who had various mats and tiles, and initially I was convinced that some of the brands they had would suffice in terms of what it would be used for. Price-value was a good deal. The average floor tiles were around 30 Euros. Renata insisted after researching and talking with other moms that [easyazon_link identifier=”B002SW4GDA” locale=”US” nw=”y” nf=”y” tag=”hk22-20″]Skip Hops[/easyazon_link] floor tiles were the best. I was not intrigued, yet went with the proposal.
We then looked through [easyazon_link identifier=”B002SW4GDA” locale=”US” nw=”y” nf=”y” tag=”hk22-20″]Amazon[/easyazon_link] and ordered one of their [easyazon_link identifier=”B0183LN5TU” locale=”US” nw=”y” nf=”y” tag=”hk22-20″]Playspot floor tiles[/easyazon_link] sets. It has since arrived and I am intrigued. Here some of its features and pro’s we come across.
- Soft foam surface (BPA free).
- Over-sized tiles that are customizable (use as many as you want depending how many packs you want/have).
- Easy to assemble – really quick and simple and however you want, strips, patterns, etc.
- The colors are very nice in comparison to some of the crazy colored tiles we’ve come across. Would fit nicely into most homes (depending on the color you select).
- Comfortable. I really enjoy sitting on these things so I can only imagine its the same for Jayden.
- Manufactured for children under a year old. Most mats and foam floors we came across were 2 or 3 years and up.
- Easy to wipe clean
- The edge connectors are still fairly simple to pull out. Jayden enjoys pulling himself to the edge and lifting the tiles up which, when grabbing a connector piece, he takes out. Happens seldom, but you need to point his attention to something else.
- There are only two colored edges. Although the pack (all of them) consist of four color combinations, the edge piece that’s curved off are only in two colors. Limits you a bit in terms of how you want to use the colors.
- Would be nice if the surface would be anti-static. Hair sticks really easy to it and we have two dogs, who know not to go on the mat however you cant avoid them running around and shaking next to it with hair flying everywhere. Yes, its easy to wipe clean and vacuum over it, nonetheless a suggestion on our part.
Overall this is a great mat and well invested money despite it’s somewhat higher price tag in comparison to other manufacturers. The material is also quite durable which makes it long lasting fund for kids of all ages, and did I mention that its really soft! I know I did. My knees feel great on the surface of this thing!
This is a snapshot prior to laying down [easyazon_link identifier=”B002SW4GDA” locale=”US” nw=”y” nf=”y” tag=”hk22-20″]Skip Hops Playspot[/easyazon_link]. We recently moved our entire living room around and Jayden’s corner ended up quite centrally located so as to be able to see him from all angles from the kitchen as we have two entrances connecting living area and kitchen on each end of the room. (Yes, its fairly large)
Jayden’s new, clean and soft play corner for him to play, crawl, slide, drool, throw things and have fun. If you are on the search for a floor mat, than we both highly recommend the Skip Hop Playspot. As noted previously its a great investment.